The M249 SAW, Squad Autamatic Weapon is the Standard light machine gun in the US Army. Designed in 1984 to carry the 5.56x45mm NATO round, the M249 has seen service in the US Army since Operation Just Cause. The M249 has an interchangable berrel as well as a handle at the top of the weapon for easy carring. The M249 has the unique ability to us 20-30 round magazines from M16 Assult Rifle and M4 type weapons, inserted from the bottom of the weapon. The M249 is mainly fed from a 100 to 200 M27 linked belts. The M249's main purpose as a SAW is to provide suppresion fire.
Rate of fire SelectionEdit
The M249 also has the unique ability to chose its rate of fire with a switch. The opperater can chose to fire 1,000 rounds per minute or a slower 750 rounds per minute.
Variants M249 to MK48Edit
- M249 SAW, original model with a metal stock
- M249 PIP, Product Improvment Program features a plastic stock in the shape of an M240's
- M249 Para, Airborne Forces Model model features a foldable metal stock
- M249 SPW, Speacal purpose Weapon used by USSOCOM, lighter model with handel, Magazine inserter and vehical mount removed
- MK 46, Navy version of the M249 SPW
- MK 48, 7.62x51mm version of the MK 46